Saturday, April 17, 2010

Faux Technique - Grandfather clock



Howdy all on this glorious Sunday. Thought I'd share my latest favourite technique - Faux Technique. It's so easy yet gives a totally new look to stamps and cards.



I'm really proud of this Grandfather Clock as it's my own original design. Although the technique was easy, this entire card was fiddly, but it's a great male card which I'm sure we all agree are the most difficult cards to design.



Faux technique: Using black Stazon I stamped the clock from SU Sense of Time stamp set onto the shiney side of white tissue paper. The clock workings from SU Sense of Time were randomly stamped using SU Creamy Caramel. Leave to dry for about 5 mins. Then scrunch the tissue paper into a tight ball, carefully flatten out, and rescrunch again. This creates the crinkly effect. Very gently flatten out the tissue paper into a rough circle. Don't over flatten as the lumps and bumps are critical to creating the overall effect.




Prepare a square of white card by cutting out slightly bigger than the original clock stamp image. Cover the entire card in glue stick. Don't worry too much about the smaller clumps of glue as these add to the effect. Lay the tissue paper image right side down onto a piece of scrap paper to collect excess glue. Then lay the card glue side down over the tissue paper image. Using your fingers, very gently rub the entire card to ensure the tissue paper had adhered. If you rub too hard the tissue paper will be too flat on the card. Leave to dry for at least half an hour. I made 4-5 at a time to ensure I had spares for next time. I hate waiting for things to dry!!




Cut around the outside clock face and put the rest of the grandfather clock card together. I used SU Curly Label and Small Oval punches to create the shape. The top detail was punched using a standard hole punch. I used lots of layers and raised using SU Dimensionals to give a 3D effect. My crafty sister suggested using actual clock hands to give it a 'Wow' factor. I didn't have any but it's a great suggestion nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment